Sunday, September 10, 2006

Day Ten

Well I did it. I broke 20,000 words today. 20,202 to be exact. That is almost half way there. I haven't hit a wall yet. The characters are moving around a bit more on their own which is always interesting and exciting. My youngest daughter just came in and gave me a high five when she saw my total word count come up on the screen. My dad and step-mom sent me a beautifully encouraging card and my writer's group is full of admiration and enthusiasm for this project. It's wonderful to have all that support and energy behind me.

So far, and I hope I don't jinx it, but it hasn't been excruciating at all to get my word count quota done for each day. The least amount of time I've spent is an hour and a half and the most is four. This is exactly how I pictured my writing life should be. Slow and steady. Just consistently showing up to the page.

Quote:
Be willing to speak from a different place, to discover memories you didn't even know were there.
- from "Thunder and Lightning"

Here's a book you must read. Stephen King called it the best memoir he's ever read and I have to agree. It is "A Three Dog Life" by Abigail Thomas. The thing I admire most is how she writes thoroughly and completely to the raw truth of her experience. I can feel her slow and steady pace. No flying past the uncomfortable parts and no dwelling in melodrama. A must read.

No comments: