Monday, September 04, 2006

Day Four

It's just after 4:00 and I have my daily quota done. I am up to 8217 words. They really do add up.

The quote for today:
"Forget expectation. Just write."
from Wild Mind

Alway good advice. I think that I got stuck on the expectation part for the last few months. I forgot to let myself play and have fun. I wanted each and every writing session to turn up something raw and powerful and able to survive the revision process. So having this daily quota is all about letting me have fun on the page again. I didn't know at all what was going to happen today. Didn't know what they were doing. So I picked up a book I had sitting here, glanced at a page, saw the words "tuna fish" and ended up writing a scene in the kitchen between Otter and Lucy and a tuna fish sandwich. And even if it doesn't survive the ultimate revision process for this book, with every scene I write I get to know the characters a litttle more and that's always a good thing. And I only get to that point by showing up every day, not expecting anything except to write my minimum number of words.

No comments: