Saturday, November 10, 2007

Tuned In

So I woke up this morning after five hours of sleep (I'm a eight-nine hours a night gal) with the first sentence of this story in my head. This story that I have been stuck on. So I lay there thinking I've only had five hours of sleep. I need to go back to sleep. But once I got the first sentence then came the first paragraph. Well. I can't just ignore this little gift, can I? So I hauled myself out of bed, down to my computer and wrote for an hour. Yay me!

I'm not the kind of person who needs the ultimate perfect first sentence before I can proceed with a piece. But I do need a first sentence that propels me into the voice, character and story. I now have that. Before she was in a grocery store and had to get to the airport. Most of the current story takes place at the airport bar so I just plopped her right at the airport bar, right off the bat.

This creativity buzz I have going on must be a direct result of blogging everyday this month. Whatever you turn your attention to, increases. I have tuned into my creative process and it is rewarding me with this renewed energy and focus.

Oh, and I did crawl back into bed and sleep for another two hours this morning. Now I get to go watch my daughter shop with all her birthday money and gift cards.

No comments: