Sunday, October 29, 2006

In Praise of Lists

I like lists. I like making lists of things to do for the day, the week, the month, the year. Lists of stories I have in various stages of progress. Christmas lists. Lists of meals for the week. Grocery lists. I get so much satisfaction out of crossing completed items off my list that I will write something down that I have already done just so I can cross it off. It's an illness, I know.

So, in the spirit of lists, here are some of the creative endeavors I've been involved in since my last post. Photos to follow at a later date since one of the things on my new list of things to learn is how to download and print photos off our new camera. I believe my 12-year old knows how. . .

1. Revised and sent a story off to www.literarymama.com. Great on-line journal so check it out. Should hear back within 3 months.

2. Learned to solder. Created two pendants that I then turned into necklaces. I designed two collages for each and sandwiched them between glass slides, taped them, then soldered the edges, making a frame, soldered jump rings on and ta-da- a necklace. Now I just need to get my own supplies so I can do it at home.

3. Did a major revision on an old story, workshopped it today. Attempted to start the rewrite when I got home earlier but decided I just need a little bit of breathing space on this one for now. Trying to sort out the conflicting comments which were all valid and thoughtful.

4. Spent 7 hours yesterday teaching some friends to collage while creating my own assemblage. It is now hanging up in our living room but after looking at it I decided to "revise" it. I am going to take the wings off and create new ones, bigger and separate from the main piece. Each one will stand on its own but all hang together on the wall creating one piece of art.

5. Morning pages most mornings.

6. Yoga most mornings.

7. Worked out all but 2 days.

8. Did the first draft of a monthly 12-page newsletter.

9. Read 5-10 pages of Proust most weekday mornings. ("Swann's Way")

10. Read every single story in the "The Best American Short Stories 2006."

No comments: